I’m sure a lot of you all can relate with me on this one. Being an entrepreneur, you’re basically ALWAYS busy – there isn’t really a “clock-out” time at the end of your day. In light of this, I’m always looking for quick and easy meals that are organic and hearty, but still fun to eat – not just for me but for my guys as well.
Between my son and myself, we are pretty picky eaters. I’m probably more picky than he is. I don’t like anything too complicated, meat and potatoes are my go to for sure. Then, there’s my husband – he’s not necessarily a picky eater, but he’s definitely a selective one. His mood towards certain foods tend to change randomly, one minute he wants a traditional comfort food, then all of a sudden he wants tacos instead.
I can’t keep up! Plus is makes it hard to prevent food waste, and save us from eating the same things over and over again.
My solution is simple: always cook something that can be versatile. I like these chicken skewers because they have many lives.
The many lives of the Tomatillo Chicken Skewers:
- For Me: Tomatillo Chicken Skewers with Mashed potatoes and Brussels Sprouts
- For The Kid: Tomatillo Chicken Skewers with fruit
- For Bear: Tomatillo Chicken Skewers turned Tomatillo Chicken Tacos, or enchiladas, or he’ll have what I’m having (who knows with this guy) – this is why he does most of the cooking LOL
- Tomatillo Chicken Skewers turned Tex-Mex Burrito Bowl
- Tomatillo Chicken Skewers turned Stir-fry
These chicken skewers are pretty versatile, you can even try different sauces to go with them, pick your poison. Another thing I love about these chicken skewers, you can FREEZE THEM!! This is amazing to any working human anywhere, you can pop these bad boys out of the freezer and heat in the microwave or oven, and they’ll be so good. You can even dunk them in corn meal batter and deep fry them for some yummy chicken corndogs! The possibilities are endless and I love it.
Tomatillo Chicken Skewers
– 2 lbs chicken breast, cubed
– 3 tbsp paprika
– 3 tbsp granulated garlic
salt & pepper, to taste
– wooden skewers, presoaked in water for 30 mins
– 1 cup tomatillo sauce (store bought or homemade)
– 1lb tomatillos, husk removed & halved
– 1/4 cup yellow onions, chopped
– 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
– 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
– 1 tbsp lime juice
– 2 serrano peppers, seeded (optional)
salt & pepper, to taste
Preheat Grill to 350ºF (heat only one side of the grill)
*If using store bought skip to third section*
Place tomatillos on a baking sheet, cut side down with garlic and onions. place under broiler for about 5-6 mins, or until skin on tomatillos starts to brown.
Place broiled tomatillos, onions and garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and peppers in a blender or food processor. Blend until salsa is combined and all ingredients are chopped to a pulp. Set Aside.
Season cubed chicken with paprika, granulated garlic, salt and pepper. Start to make skewers by, sticking about 4-5 pieces of chicken on each skewer.
Next, place chicken skewers on grill with skewers on side of grill that isn’t heated. Cook skewers for about 2-3 mins on each side. (you should only flip twice) Then brush with tomatillo sauce. Let cook on grill for an additional 1-2 mins.
Serve hot with additional tomatillo sauce on the side.
*SIDE NOTE: you can sub the chicken for salmon, shrimp, or beef*